2.1.17 SFC Policy Meeting
Members Present: Natalia, Vince, Sulan, Monique, Hassan
Time Start: 8:01 pm
Time End: 9:20 pm
*Winter term check in*
Natalia: Anybody know anything about the SFCAC meeting?
Monique: There was an email, it’s an email from Tina. And Austen responded to it.
Natalia: Austen told me that Tina wants to meet with us and come to meetings but we meet at night so I don’t know how that’s going to work.
Vince: We might change the meeting time depending on people’s schedules.
Natalia: We should send out a whenisgood and base it off of that.
Natalia: Last ad hoc is the last Sunday of February. Sulan you made posters. Where are they?
Sulan: I’m still distributing them. So far I have Mudd, Stevie and Dascomb.
Natalia: Okay website, Hassan.
Hassan: All I need now are the office hours so I can add them to the website. I removed the staff page right now because I don’t have everyone’s bios. I also think we should have a standard format. Otherwise the website is good to go and ready to launch. One more thing I didn’t find in the drive is marked ad hocs.
Natalia: I don’t think we put those online.
Monique: I don’t think we need to put marked up ad hocs on there, but I think we could put previous ad hocs to show the format.
Hassan: So sample ad hocs?
Vince: They should be able to search to see what ad hocs have already happened so people don’t ad hoc for the same thing.
Hassan: I’m fine with sample or actual ad hocs.
Natalia: I’m leaning towards just putting the marked up ones.
Monique: What does that do?
Natalia: It shows people what we’re spending money on, who’s brought who to campus, etc.
Hassan: How does everybody feel about having a how-to-use-the-website session? So everyone can use the website themselves.
Natalia: That’s good.
Hassan: Also we should go over the policy and timestamp it so it’s updated and relevant.
Natalia: Moving forward, you and Ify should meet because she does the minutes so she needs to know how to use the website to upload minutes. You and I should meet because I need to put up timecards and you and Sulan should meet because she’s going to need to update outreach stuff. Also you and Monique should meet so she can upload ad hocs.
Hassan: Should we go for a launch?
Natalia: Other important dates that you should put on the website are ad hocs and office hours. We also have extended office hours 4:30-7pm weekly starting next Monday.
Natalia: What days do people want?
Monique: Tuesday, Thursday. 5-7pm.
Natalia: I can do Wednesday.
Monique: It also kind of varies week by week because it depends when I have practice, but I’m always good Tuesday and Thursday.
Natalia: How about everybody pick on day they for sure can do and then pick up another if they can.
Hassan: I can definitely do Friday.
Sulan: I can do Tuesday.
Vince: I can Monday.
Natalia: Ok so show up definitely on the day you put here and then also come to other days if you can. Peace still has to sign up and Josh.
Natalia: Okay now we have to work on the Hub.
Monique: Wait should we set up our system for mandatory meetings?
Natalia: What I wanted to do before the end of this meeting was split up the Hub so we assign groups to different SFC members.
Vince: I can do the first 22 orgs.
Natalia: Who wants the next 22?
Natalia: Alright I’ll put your name in.
Natalia: Alright who wants the next one? Sulan?
Monique: I’ll do the next one.
Natalia: Ok so before next week, before treasurer training, you need to do outreach to these organizations and let them know when treasurer training is, tell them they need to either meet with you or come to our extended office hours and that they need to check in. Tell them they will not receive any funding if they do not meet with us. And after treasurer training send them another email. Tell them when spring budgets are due. Tell them they also need to hand in mid year reports. Tell them we will send link about the mid year report and how to submit their spring budget.
Hassan: How do you guys feel about using social media to advertise this?
Natalia: Like paying for it? No.
Natalia: So if you go into our email, it has all the information on who the treasurer is who the advisor and their contact so you can email them. Can you please send out your emails to your point people by Sunday or Monday and put the new website link.
*Reflection on the beginning of the semester*
Natalia: The pay was not figured out. So before the end of the semester we need to do pay reaffirmation.
Monique: We have to do that again this year?
Natalia: Yeah cause we got affirmed for this year so we have to reaffirm for next year.
Natalia: Also Club sports came to us saying they had no money but they didn’t hand in their mid year reports so we didn’t give them money.
Monique: I feel like we had other groups. Burlesque?
Vince: That was us reconsidering budgets.
Natalia: Yeah we did a lot of reconsidering.
Vince: I think we need to establish a better plan for the summer before we go into it. Anyone who had the time just did it.
Monique: I don’t think the problem was that different people were sending back ad hocs.
Vince: I also think summer work should be paid. But Peace said it was free.
Monique: I think you’re just supposed to put it on the first time card of the year.
Natalia: How do we make sure clubs that don’t send a mid year report or budget on time get penalized.
Hassan: We need to have an actual policy why we’re making these thing compulsory and why they won’t get money.
Natalia: We can brainstorm.
Monique: How about 1000 dollars deduction.
Hassan: A fixed percentage would be better.
Vince: Some of us are going to be considering the deduction during the budgeting and then the percentage isn’t going to be right.
Monique: How about deducting 15%.
Hassan: Well then we going back to punishing new people for past people’s mistakes.
Monique: If you don’t turn in a mid year report you can’t get more than 15% less than what you got last year.
Natalia: I like that.
Hassan: We’re going to get backlash from this. Because that’s what happened with Solarity. We should decide right now if we’re going to put this in the policy or make this arbitrary.
Monique: If they don’t turn it in after we send them multiple emails and remind them in the mandatory meeting and during treasurer training how many more chances are they going to get?
Monique: I think next year if they have new people in power they can ad hoc their case.
Hassan: Isn’t that why we had some issues this year?
Hassan: I mean I’m ok with that if we’re okay with handling it like that.
Vince: It’s up to next year’s committee.
Natalia: I think we should all sleep on this and discuss when the whole group is here.
Extended Policy Meeting 2.5.17
Monique: How about if we get an email explaining why they didn’t submit a mid year report or submit their budget late, we’re more lenient. Is there a way to not punish the whole group?
Elijah: I don’t think there is. Is there a way to make the whole group accountable?
Natalia: We email more than the treasurer; we email whoever’s on the officer list.
Vince: How about if they hand it in late they have to come talk to us in the beginning of the new year and explain themselves.
Monique: What if a group doesn’t meet the requirements and their budget is awful?
Natalia: Then that’s okay and we cut 15% of that.
Vince: I don’t love that. I think it’ll factor into what we’ll originally budget at.
Monique: I’m in favor of making the budget for the upcoming year not exceed 15% less of what they got the previous year if they don’t meet with us or turn in their mid year report.
Natalia: I’m fine with that.
Monique: If a group doesn't meet with us or if a group submits a budget late without emailing us, that’s when we propose the 15% cap. That way people who turn in budgets late will still get a budget, we’re not punishing full groups.
Peace: I’d be more in favor of for late submissions or not meeting the things on the checklist saying they won’t see an increase in their budget and for everything else minimum 20% decrease.
Josh: I think if they didn’t give us a budget they highest they can get should start at 75% of what they got last year.
Peace: I’m kind of uncomfortable with 15% off the budget immediately.
Elijah: The responsibility has to lie on somebody and it’s either do you want it to fall on the org and the treasurer who has to submit the budget on time or the next sfc committee who has to go through all the budgets at the beginning of the semester again.
Monique: Two proposals for if people turn in their mid year report or budget late or do not meet with us:
1. Percentage deductions for each unfulfilled requirement
2. We don’t penalize a fixed number, it’s up to next year’s org to come talk to us to get their budget
Natalia: All in favor of proposal 1
Comments are closed.
SFC Meeting Minutes
SFC Minutes serve as the instant written record of a policy meeting or an Ad-hoc discussion. We encourage you to contact the committee if you have questions about the conversation surrounding your allocation.