2.5.17 SFC Ad Hoc
Time Start: 1:00pm
Time End: 3:00 pm
Members Present: Austen, Peace, Vince, Monique, Josh, Sulan, Natalia, Elijah
INDIVIDUAL AD HOC - LA CASA HISPANICA
Monique: Welcome to today’s ad hoc.
Rita: So we’re ad hocing for Merengue Madness. It’s an annual event put on by spanish house and it’s been going for 30+ years. It’s a fundraiser that is a live concert and dance at the sco. It’s either March 3rd, 10th or 11th.
Francis: Usually a salsa band comes but we’re trying to bring a merengue band to change things up.
Rita: We typically pick a few orgs the dorm votes on to give the money to. The past couple of years we’ve donated to the Oberlin undocumented students fund. Residents can propose other things and there’s a lot of people we could donate to. Most of the costs I just copied over from last year. The big difference is the hotel cost. In the previous year we’ve brought a band from Cleveland so we didn’t need to pay hotel costs. This band is from New York and there’s six of them so we’re paying for hotel and one meal. They’re driving so we’re not paying travel. The way our dorm money works we get a certain amount of money from the Spanish department which doesn’t cover all our programs, and we have hall council money and $100 from ResEd.
Monique: How do you guys usually pay for this in the past?
Rita: We ad hoc. Since we’re a dorm we can’t put it in our spring budget since we’re a dorm and we just get 600 from resed.
Natalia: You haven’t thought about putting this in a orgs budget?
Rita: We asked but it never goes through.
Josh: Do you remember attendance from last year?
Rita: No but we made 900$ last year.
Sulan: How exactly do you plan to reach out to the town and advertise to them?
Rita: We put posters downtown and I email a few folks from Oberlin and Lorain county and people from El Centro.
Josh: So the 600$ in your budget comes from the student activity fund but there might be department money.
Rita: I haven’t reached out because the RA before me told me what she did and gave me her budget. I could definitely ask and I assume the answer would be no or very little but I can ask.
Vince: Where did you get the 300$ quote for concert sound?
Rita: I believe that’s what it was last year.
Peace: So are they covering all of their transportation?
Monique: We will mark this up, vote, and you’ll get an email from me a week from tomorrow at the latest.
INDIVIDUAL AD HOC - EXCO COMMITTEE STIPEND
Monique: Welcome to today’s ad hoc, we’re going to start by introducing by introducing ourselves.
Zayn: Our proposal is two main points: 1 is that we need these funds to make up for the work we’re doing and 2 is that this is an urgent matter. We’re stipended for 2000$ for one semester for the whole committee from the college. There’s a discrepancy between what we’re being paid and how many hours we’re actually working. We’re the only organization in the country that is student run and able to provide credit. We’re the only department that everyone in Oberlin will probably take a class from so we address everyone. So that’s why it’s important. We already do a lot more than we’re paid for. We also want to work on our institutional memory and being more accessible to to the community and have the exco fair more accessible.
EJ: We have been keeping track of hours and for the amount we’re being paid we would top off mid-October.
Zayn: Yeah so we’re definitely spending an uneven amount of hours each week. We work a lot at the beginning of the year, when courses are being registered for, and during finals. These numbers in the table are averages over the semester.
Natalia: The way stipends work is that they’re supposed to supplement your work but it is never supposed to stipend you for the work you do in full. Like the Grape and the Review work more hours than they’re stipended for.
Zayn: Do you know how much they’re being paid for?
Natalia: They’re being paid for about 50 to two-thirds of the work they do.
Monique: What does the chair do in comparison to the other officers?
Alex: Assigning work to different officers, being in charge of the websites and contacting the registrar, keeping track of what’s going on in each class and keeping up with the instructor. I’m generally just the person who makes sure everything is doing what needs to be done.
Zayn: Alex does so much as the chair which is why they’re being paid 1.5x more because they’re doing 1.5x of the work everyone else us.
Natalia: Have you asked admin about being paid more?
Zayn: Yeah we’ve had a lot of conversations about this and they’re so on board that we need to be paid more but we’re lowest on the list in terms of departments that need to be reviewed. And it might take a
couple of years to enact.
Vince: I’m afraid that if we approve this and the review goes through you won’t get a raise. This also isn’t sustainable because another committee might decide not to fund you. Are these stipends for this group or for next year’s group?
Zayn: Our initial plan was to apply for the stipend during spring budgeting. But this is an urgent matter because we’re still working this semester more than we’re being paid for.
Monique: What is the total amount of money you guys are asking for?
Zayn: We have the hours on the table and then if you multiply it by Ohio minimum wage.
Natalia: So it’s 35.5 hours a week, so 3.7k.
Vince: And you don’t get credit for this position right?
Peace: Do you know how long this has been the stipend for exco?
Zayn: About three years.
EJ: The stipend was also raised my sophomore year because another position was added.
Monique: Do you think you guys are doing more work this year compared to last year? Like do you think each year you are working more and more hours?
EJ: I would say between fall 2016 and fall 2017 there’s not going to be much change from the next year. I don’t think it’s going to consistently increase.
Zayn: These numbers are from last semester which is definitely a good indicator.
Natalia: It seems like you guys are a really great committee that puts in a lot of hours, but I’m hesitant because you guys are putting in a lot of time, but will the next committee put in the time?
Zayn: This is also why it’s been really hard to hire people because it’s a lot of work that’s not being paid for. And for some people that is a deal breaker and this would be a huge step in building a good committee.
Monique: That’s all the time we have. You will get a copy of the marked up proposal no later than a week from tomorrow.
Merengue Madness Review
Monique: Initial thoughts?
Peace: Fund in full.
Monique: I never want to fund a banner at Wilder.
Vince: Is everyone okay with concert sound?
Natalia: Is that the concert sound price?
Vince: No it’s not any of their prices.
Natalia: Then no I’m not okay with it.
Monique: We can also adjust posters.
Natalia: A medium sco sound system is 350.
Josh: I’m fine cutting chips since chips are free at the Sco.
Natalia: I don’t think we can fund spray paint.
Peace: I want to change the banner to 5.
Monique: Proposal to fund.
Passes at $1637.16
Exco Stipend Review
Josh: I will say he came and talked to me before this ad hoc.
Monique: So the table at the top, they’re saying the chair gets paid 5.6 but the chair actually work 15 hours. So the 9.5 is what they work more?
Josh: Yeah and they want to be paid for the full 15 hours.
Natalia: I’m happy to fund partially. I would propose that if you work 15 hours a week I’m happy to pay you for 10.
Josh: I’m going to go 10 for a chair, 6.5 for an officer.
Monique: 13 weeks.
Josh: My proposal is 1,621.62 with the condition that they submit their timecards. We’re paying for 4.4 hours for chair 2.75 hours for officers in addition to what they already get paid by the school.
Natalia: I’m happy to do this for this semester, but I don’t want to do it for spring budgeting.
Monique: Any competing proposals?
Peace: I’m still on the fence about this?
Peace: I feel like this should be in spring budgeting but it’s also what ad hoc is for. There are a lot of variables to think about.
Vince: I’d rather do it now than for spring budgeting because we don’t know how next committee’s going to work.
Vince: We’ll check those timecards if it’s not accurate we can stop.
Josh: Proposal is to fund at 1,621.62.
Passes at 1,621.62.
Comments are closed.
SFC Meeting Minutes
SFC Minutes serve as the instant written record of a policy meeting or an Ad-hoc discussion. We encourage you to contact the committee if you have questions about the conversation surrounding your allocation.