Spring Budgeting: Music
Members Present: Elijah, Josh, Natalia, Peace, Vince, Sulan, Hassan, Monique, Austen
Time Start: 12:19pm
Time End: 5pm
OCGA (Oberlin Classical Guitar Association)
Natalia: Who wants to look at the mid year report?
Vince: I think we all should.
Natalia: Yeah, but who should our point person be?
Josh: Who met with them?
Vince: I did. I’ll give a quick summary of it: they just really didn’t have enough money to operate efficiently so a donor had to step in a help them out.
Josh: I’m just surprised there isn’t enough classical guitar provided and supplied by other people but I guess this group does it all.
Vince: They said they don’t get a lot of support from the school.
Vince: I think an increase is fair.
Hassan: And they’ve given us three budgets which is nice.
Monique: I don’t have a problem giving them 11 with the three guest artists. I think they’ve shown that they’re going to spend their funds responsibly and do this programming.
Natalia: I think the frame of us giving them double is a bad frame and we shouldn’t look at it like that. Like they spent a lot of money and had really good programming. Like they said over 100 people came to their events.
Vince: They said they listed their artists in order of priority.
Natalia: Which is super helpful. I would do three or four artists.
Josh: I’m putting in a proposal to fund at three artists.
Hassan: Can we figure out how much we gave them the year before?
Peace: They got 7,043 two years ago.
Hassan: They got 8k in 2010, so I think we’ve been putting them usually below 10k.
Peace: I’m cool with the three artist proposal. Does anyone want to suggest something else?
Sulan: Do you think funding at only three artists would hinder their success? Like why not four? The difference between three and four is not that much.
Monique: Are we ready to vote?
Natalia: I’m going to put a four artist proposal down.
Monique: Wait did they say how much money the donor gave?
Natalia: Enough for them to put on the programming they did.
Vince: It had to be like 9 or 8k.
Josh: Top Down. Proposal to fund at 4 artists. 11k.
Peace: Did anybody meet with them? It’s checked off but they didn’t meet with me. But I could have just forgotten.
Hassan: In the mid year they said they haven’t done much yet, but their spring event is their biggest. They’ve done interest meetings and workshops. For this year’s budget it’s pretty much the same, they just want more than one artist.
Monique: I’d be down to do the 2k and one of the 750s.
Vince: Some of the costs are wrong.
Hassan: I’d be down to give them full.
Natalia: I like Monique’s proposal.
Peace: For the programming part, are each of these programs they want to do? Why is there only two flights?
Natalia: Maybe one of them is local.
Hassan: I feel like if we adjust the costs, there’s a chance we’ll be giving them less money than last year which would be bad since they were successful.
Natalia: More programming doesn’t necessarily mean more money though.
Monique: But do you think it’s fair to jump from one to three artists?
Josh: If we give them two people, which is more than we gave them last year and adjust some of those incorrect costs, it comes out to 3200.
Peace: Shouldn’t we do this section by section though.
Natalia: I’m getting 3500 just for programming.
Natalia: I’m going to a proposal of two artists at 3.5k. Any other proposals?
Hassan: I would fund in full with adjustments on costs. 4.4k. I think it’s not that much of an increase in cost. If we’re going to look at what we did in the past, we should look at one measure and that should be the cost, not the number of programs we funded.
Natalia: But then we’re setting the precedent that every group should get more money if they spent their budget last year. We have 150 clubs to go through.
Hassan: This is more funding a new group to get to where they want to be, not increasing every group’s budget because they spent it last year.
Natalia: Top Down. Hassan’s proposal
Passes at $4,457.
Peace: For the flyers you can adjust all those to .035.
Josh: The event these flyers are for aren’t listed anywhere.
Josh: I would cut the $50.
Vince: I would keep the $20 for the workshop.
Natalia: I’m going to propose $110 for publicity.
Josh: Proposal to fund general interest meeting supplies in full.
Josh: We funded them last year at almost 1.4k. The soundproofing they asked for in fy16 we funded it and then they didn’t do it and asked for it again in the next budget.
Monique: This year they’re asking for over 2.7k.
Austen: So since they didn’t meet with you all, the most they can get is the amount they received last year?
Monique: So cut the event fund, the repair fund and the pizza and you get 13,066. Also I don’t know if we can do all these t-shirts.
Josh: Cut the t-shirts.
Vince: You don’t think we can give them $100 for pizza.
Monique: They don’t explain why they need the pizza.
Peace: Also cut the supplies for the t-shirt.
Josh: So, so far we’ve just cut things that are unfundable by our policy.
Natalia: I don’t want to fund any of the crafts because I don’t know what they’re for.
Sulan: I think they’re for the fear fest thing they’re doing. Also the links on the budget don’t work.
Vince: That’s a good guess.
Hassan: They’re asking for bass and guitar strings for co-op guitars and their personal guitars but I’m pretty sure we’re not allowed to fund that.
Monique: I think it’s also like a co-op specific thing because we fund the bike coop to do stuff like that.
Josh: The two proposals are 1123 or 1023, the difference being a hundred for food.
Sulan: Is it fair to cut their crafts just because they didn’t list a sentence saying why they need it?
Vince: I think we have more liberty to cut things like that this year because we went out of our way to make sure mistakes like that didn’t happen.
Josh: Top Down
Josh: If the costs are okay and we fund in full they’d get a 10% increase.
Peace: Is that with income already subtracted?
Josh: I believe so.
Monique: Can we change these copying costs?
Peace: I feel like sheet music is double sided.
Hassan: Do we have a cap on flyers?
Monique: Wait if it’s double sided we have to multiply it by two?
Peace: Yeah so it’s .07.
Peace: We also need to adjust housing.
Sulan: The truck costs are wrong.
Peace: Since we’re adjusting a lot of things we should go section by section.
Peace: Proposal to fund services at 2k in full.
Peace: Copying costs in full at 140$.
Josh: All in favor of funding media resources at 600.
Natalia: Proposal to fund equipment in full.
Josh: The adjusted cost is 7240. All in favor
Josh: All in favor of 1938 for guest performers and workshops.
Natalia: Proposal to subtract income
Josh: So the total budget is 13k.
Monique: I can’t find their mid year report.
Josh: So that’s 10%. Their budget last year was 3269.60. 10% is 2942.64. So that’s the max they can receive. I’d be okay doing a block rate as long as we left a note saying they should adhere to their budget.
Peace: We should go through it first.
Natalia: I think we should go fund it as we normally do and then slash it and tell them what they would have gotten.
Natalia: Proposal to fund concert cost in full.
Josh: Proposal to fund publicity and printing in full (249). Competing proposal for 204.
Josh: Proposal to fund touring costs at full with adjusted costs.
Josh: Fund in full for recording costs.
Austen: 4862$ is what it come to.
Josh: There’s almost a 2k deduction. Their total is 2942.64 which is 90% of what they got last year.
All in favor of this.
Hassan: They have a mid year. They only got 451 last year.
Josh: And they’re asking for less.
Vince: These printing costs are wrong. 70 times 3 is not 280.
Monique: They’re asking for four advertising things so they’re probably doing four shows.
Hassan: So there’s no correlation between advertising and sheet music because they had 7 advertising events and 3 sheet music last year.
Josh: In full (422) and 352 are the proposals.
Peace: Wait did anybody check if they met with us? Oh wait I think they did.
Vince: Did they hand everything in?
Josh: They’re asking for 6 grand.
Josh: The only difference is touring costs.
Vince: Proposal for printing in full.
Josh: Recording costs are the same and last year we funded them in full. Proposal to fund recording and sound in full.
Josh: They also didn’t edit their mid year report at all. It’s verbatim from past year’s budgets.
Austen: So cut it.
Hassan: Who met with them?
Vince: I didn’t. Maybe it was Monique.
Josh: All in favor of funding recording in full?
Does not pass. Recording is cut.
Peace: There’s nothing in Banner about concert sound costs. I propose 350.
Peace: They said the event they wanted to go to was unexpectedly cancelled so they’re planning a trip to visit Tiffin’s Jewish a cappella group. They didn’t travel as much because of conflicts with several of the synagogues they reached out to.
Natalia: I think two trips is warranted, but not three. I propose 374.92
Austen: All those in favor of 3390.82 for JAF trip, cutting registration fees to 25 per person.
Natalia: I support the Tiffin trip in full but subtract 350 because that’s registration at 25 a person. I propose to fund at $467.91.
Natalia: They didn’t do a recording last year like they said they would because of changes in leadership.
Peace: The only charge on their account this year has been printing services.
Hassan: They said they bought food.
Josh: It might have not gone through yet.
Natalia: We have to cut clothing.
Vince: Proposal to fund food at 49.45
Natalia: Advertisement in full.
Natalia: I’m going to propose to fund clothing and videography in full.
Josh: Do you want to do them separately?
Josh: Proposal to fund recording in full at 300.
Josh: Proposal to fund clothing in full
Does not pass
Josh: Proposal to fund videography in full.
Does not pass because there’s not evidence this happened this year or the previous year when it was funded.
Natalia: I met with them.
Josh: Last year they asked for 36 and a half and we gave them 33 and a half. This year they’re asking for 38.
Natalia: They changed their Studio B position.
Hassan: They also changed their summer stipends.
Natalia: She was telling me that they got 300 hours per year for Studio B manager and they were splitting that between four people and it wasn’t reflective of what people were specializing in so I told her to just split it between the people and make separate positions. I’d be fine funding it but cuttin video producer B and audio engineer B. I don’t understand why they need two.
Hassan: Also they said they increased the summer stipend to reflect the cost of living in Oberlin more accurately.
Elijah: I feel like you should give them all the positions because based on the description it’s a lot of labor.
Vince: I’m in favor.
Josh: Yeah I would fund stipends in full. Propose to fund payroll in full. Any competing proposals?
Peace: I’m just kind of confused about the stipended 10 hours a week positions. I don’t know how much they work.
Josh: Last year we funded them at 11 hours a week.
Natalia: And they reflected and cut it down.
Josh: All in favor of funding in full
Josh: Proposal to fund broadcast engineer in full.
Natalia: Proposal to fund royalties in full.
Natalia: Proposal to fund phone in full.
Josh: They cut the magazines out so they could get more program guides.
Peace: In Banner it says program guides cost a little under 300.
Josh: Proposal to fund in full and proposal to fund at 1092.
Peace: They don’t talk about purchasing vinyls in the mid year report.
Josh: I would recommend you fund in full because their collection is over 30 years old and the increase in the amount of units is to try to speed up the process of replacing old and broken vinyls.
Josh: Fy16 they asked for this and we gave them zero dollars. And last year they asked for this and we gave them 750.
Natalia: I’m going to propose the same as last year.
Vince: I’m putting in at full.
Top Down: Proposal to vote in full.
OST breaks tie:
Josh: All right, maintenance and text supplies. For the headphones I would prefer to fund 1.
Peace: Proposal to fund 1 headphone.
Natalia: I’m going to propose two.
Peace: Top Down
Does not pass.
Proposal to fund 1.
Peace: Some things are more durable than others so I don’t think we can apply to same logic in funding for everything.
Hassan: We also didn’t tell them they needed an inventory so we can’t penalize them for that.
Josh: The caveat at the beginning that things break isn’t enough.
Peace: I propose to fund at 24.40 for the 10 connectors.
Natalia: I’m going to propose five.
Josh: I’d vote on the stereo and mini jack together.
Natalia: I’ll make a proposal to fund in full.
Vince: I’ll propose half.
Josh: Top Down.
Does not pass
Josh: All in favor of three.
Vince: Proposal to reopen the vote
Vince: All in favor of funding in full
OST breaks tie
Passes, funded in full.
Natalia: Proposal to fund the rest in full.
Austen: The total number is 1086.22.
Josh: Last year they asked for the turntable and we said no. The two of these are cheaper than the one they asked for last year.
Vince: Why didn’t we give it to them last year?
Peace: Fy16 we gave them one.
Natalia: I propose to fund the first three items in full.
Peace: I want to propose to fund 1 turntable.
Natalia: I propose to fund in full. Top down
Peace: Proposal to fund in full for audio recorder and proposal for 1.
Peace: Proposal to fund external hard drive
Members Present: Austen, Vince, Sulan, Monique, Peace, Natalia
Time Start: 6:20pm
Time End: 8pm
Peace: Did we vote on any broadcast equipment?
Austen: Yeah, in full.
Peace: We didn’t fund CD’s last year but I don’t know why we didn’t.
Vince: Maybe because they didn’t say how much they had left?
Peace: Proposal to fund office supplies in full at 430.19.
Peace: So last year equipment was funded in full.
Vince: Where are the quotes from?
Monique: I think you can click the links.
Vince: No, they don’t work.
Peace: SD cards get lost easily?
Monique: I don’t like that as an explanation.
Peace: Yeah they need to take care of those.
Monique: They’re asking for a spare set of SD cards and a spare set of batteries.
Vince: I’m okay with the battery pack.
Natalia: I’m okay with the microphone.
Monique: Did we not give them the microphone last year?
Peace: We gave them 3 mics last year. They said the mic they’re asking for is to replace a 20 year old one that broke in half.
Peace: I’m cool with funding in full minus the SD cards.
Natalia: Yeah, I agree.
Peace: Proposal to fund at 908.40.
Natalia: Can we make people pay to use Studio B? Like have them pay $5.
Monique: The whole point of Studio B is to offer this service for free.
Vince: I don’t mind, you can ask them.
Monique: They would also have to track it and then make sure they give us an update next year.
Peace: Block Party cost is the same as last year.
Vince: And we gave it to them in full.
Natalia: I’m fine to fund this in full.
Peace: 50 cent donuts?
Monique: I don’t have a problem with the donuts, as long as they’re not from Gibsons.
Peace: I would leave a note for this that they need to source arts and crafts supplies and donuts.
Natalia: Proposal to fund block party in full at 871.
Vince: Proposal to fund in full minus art supplies at 846.
Top Down: 871
Natalia: Oh I love WOBC showcases.
Monique: I thought the R&B showcase is usually at someone’s house.
Natalia: Yeah but I think they want to make it more accessible by putting it in Wilder.
Natalia: I’m going to propose to fund these showcases in full because they’re really good and have good turnout.
Peace: You’re trying to fund all of these?
Natalia: No, well I guess I’m only trying to fund the first two.
Monique: I kind of just want to do the first one.
Peace: I know the R&B showcase they had last semester in the ELC and it was a really big show; and I think more people would come out if it was in a bigger venue.
Vince: Proposal to fund at 2200, for the first two.
Peace: Turn Up the Radio.
Monique: No snacks.
Natalia: No, we need to fund snacks.
Monique: They’re not itemized.
Natalia: We should fund it like a general interest.
Natalia: I propose in full at 57.
Monique: Proposal to fund at 50.
Top Down: 57
Does not pass
Members Present: Austen, Monique, Vince, Peace, Sulan
Time Start: 6:10pm
Time End: 8pm
Austen: Banner says they spent 19k, which is most of their budget.
Vince: So increase?
Peace: Yeah I’d be cool with that. What’s their mid year say?
Monique: They’ve done a lot so far. They said this year instead of bringing a few big expensive acts, they brought more diverse group. They’ve also transferred a lot of money to other stuff.
Sulan: The concert sound is wrong.
Vince: Is everyone good with items 2 and 5?
Peace: Austen, how much did they get last year?
Austen: Twenty one hundred.
Peace: I would fund the first event.
Monique: Proposal to fund Oberlin Jazz Society at 23,255$. Competing proposals? All in favor?
Modern Music Guild
Peace: This is another one of those big ones.
Monique: They did submit a mid year.
Peace: They met with us too, I’m pretty sure.
Monique: How much did they get last year?
Vince: Almost 14 grand.
Peace: Mid year report looking good?
Monique: Yeah they did a lot. They had some people transfer money into their account for some shows. They’re planning three things for this semester.
Vince: How much money do they have left?
Austen: Like 4,400.
Peace: Proposal to fund the first Nextworks and Satoko Fuji plus Trio at 14k? Any competing proposals?
Peace: Proposal to fund publicity at $70 for the two events?
OHOP (Oberlin Hip Hop Collective)
Peace: Last year they got 33k.
Austen: They have just about 5k left.
Vince: Their budget’s looking pretty scare.
Monique: I’m down for the same amount.
Monique: Cakes da Killa came a couple of years ago. I don’t think we should bring him again.
Peace: We could fund Lizzo and cut the honorarium of Cakes da Killa.
Monique: How do we get this to 33k?
Peace: I don’t think it’s possible.
Vince: Why don’t we just give them what we gave them last year. We’re doing it in an arbitrary way anyway.
Vince: I think we should fund the same as last year plus the student showcase.
Monique: I think we should still go through the budget and try to figure out the number. I would just feel a lot more comfortable doing that.
Vince: Was what they asked for last year reflected in what they spent this year?
Monique: It’s different because they ended up co-sponsoring a bunch of events.
Peace: Doing it from last year is a lot less arbitrary.
Vince: Proposal to fund at last year’s level.
Nothing But Treble
Vince: Dang just posters?
Monique: I’m down.
Vince: It’s over our cap though.
Monique: I’m still down to give it to them.
Peace: I’m not. I down for adjusting.
Vince: Proposal to fund Nothing But Treble at 140$?
Vince: 294 was what they got last year. They’re asking for a 70$ increase.
Vince: Proposal to fund around midnight in full.
Peace: I met with them and she said their association is two people, but they represent all the students that do flute.
Vince: They got 8 grand last year. Last year our note for them was that we funded them based on how much they spent.
Monique: Oh I think they emailed us over the summer asking why they got cut so much.
Peace: Austen can you check how much they spent in Banner?
Austen: They spent 5.7k.
Vince: I think a little increase would be okay. The first two sound good.
Vince: Proposal to fund the budget at 9869.
OCBMG (Oberlin College Black Musicians Guild)
Vince: Last year they asked for 20k and they got 18k.
Peace: When I met with them they said they were running through a lot of hoops and obstacles like having to talk to the Conservatory people before booking people because they are more regulations on putting on masterclasses and programming. They said for the rest of the semester they’re mainly focused on transferring money to other orgs.
Monique: I’d be okay with funding at the same level.
Peace: The programming they do is really good, they’re just running into a bunch of obstacles.
Vince: Proposal to fund general interest meetings 115.88.
Vince: Proposal to fund Theo Croker at 5684.
Vince: Proposal to fund Lawrence Brownlee at 12,733.
Members Present: Josh, Vince, Sulan, Hassan, Austen, Elijah, Monique, Peace, Natalia
Time Start: 7:10pm
Josh: Their request is under the punishment for not submitting their mid year.
Vince: If everything is correct and nothing is against policy I’m okay with funding in full.
Josh: Travel’s okay, honorarium is okay, hotel we should actually bump up. Oh, they put in travel twice.
Josh: We don’t have a cap for international flights because it is what it is right?
Vince: Yeah I don’t think so.
Josh: With corrected math their request should be 8775.90. I would request to fund in full with the deduction.
Proposal to fund in full at adjusted cost of 8775.90
Josh: Proposal to deduct 787.72 penalty for not submitting their mid year report.
Josh: Their total is 7988.18. Everything in full with adjusted costs minus the mid year penalty.
Members Present: Josh, Peace, Natalia, Monique
Time Start: 1pm
Time End: 5pm
Josh: Last year they asked for 50k and got 21k.
Peace: This year they’re asking for 49k. Last year they spent 16k out of 21k.
Monique: They said they’re asking for a lot from us because Program Board is giving them less money.
Monique: Friday night Folk fest is in the Cat, the next afternoon it’s at Finney, and then that night it’s in Tappen.
Natalia: We should have them charge.
Monique: It’d be hard for them to keep track in Tappen. Also the Cat’s free. They could charge for Finney.
Natalia: They could just charge for the weekend.
Monique: Then people would have to check them in advance. That’s a lot of extra work we’re asking them to do.
Josh: Do we care that this is the exact same budget for Folk Fest?
Natalia: I mean we tell people to put someone around the cost they think they need.
Josh: We also tell them don’t copy and paste their budget.
Peace: In their mid year hey said it’s impossible for them to know people’s asking prices 15 months in advance.
Monique: If they charged they wouldn’t be able to charge that money until after the event so they wouldn’t be able to put it towards programming since this happens at the end of April.
Josh: Proposal to fund at 21,343.60 for Folk Fest, funding Janis Ian, Turtle Island Quartet, Blind Boy Paxton, Dana Lyn, and Kyle Sanna in full.
Josh: Proposal to fund equipment at 2,530 for 1 finney system, 1 tappen system, 1 cat system, and 1 grounds and 1 backline.
Monique: Proposal to fund digitization in full at 975.
Josh: Proposal to fund additional in full.
Does not pass.
Peace: They said just to make it more accessible they don’t charge so they don’t have income. We can tell them to at least charge non-students.
Josh: Proposal to fund advertising at 189.66, with general interest at 5, paper fliers at 1.50, folks playing together at 35, fall touring act at 35, folk fest individual artists at 35, folk fest at 35, 6.16 for paper, 35 for programs, and 2 for masking tape.
SFC Meeting Minutes
SFC Minutes serve as the instant written record of a policy meeting or an Ad-hoc discussion. We encourage you to contact the committee if you have questions about the conversation surrounding your allocation.