2.13.17 SFC Ad Hoc
Members Present: Monique, Peace, Sulan, Josh, Hassan, Elijah, Austen
Time Start: 1:02pm
Time End: 3:40pm
Oberlin Conservatory School National Association of Teachers of Singing Chapter (OC SNATS)
Monique: Welcome to today’s ad hoc. We’ll start by introducing ourselves.
Theodora: So we’re a brand new org, we just formed last semester. And we’re in the process for getting chartered but it was delayed at the end of last semester because we couldn’t meet. This is our first semester of public activity and we are planning three major events of which we are asking for funding. They’re a way for us to introduce ourselves to the community and what we stand for. SNATS is a big association in America and Canada for teachers of singing and they have big chapters and we were wondering why Oberlin didn’t have a student chapter to begin with. The student chapter gives students more access to opportunities outside of the conservatory and gives the conservatory access to a larger group. We feel as though the vocal opportunities at Oberlin are very narrow for the conservatory students, the college and the community and we wanted to give all kinds of opportunities for people to learn about singing. One of our first events was a faculty panel discussion to bring departments together and have a discussion about the different viewpoints of interpreting art song and that will be either the last week of march of first week of April.
Tayte: Our second event will be two practice performance workshops. Students feel that there’s not a lot of opportunity to simulate the audition process so we thought maybe we can create something to simulate that. Whatever you’re auditioning for you need to feel confident going in and we don’t get a lot of feedback right now in this community. We wanted to be able to create a performance workshop to perform some pieces for each other in a less stressful situation where we don’t need to be perfect. In the Con people don’t get enough time to perform and feel comfortable in the space. Part of the events we’re creating for the semester is to build community. It’s hard for kids to get along if they’re always competing with each other. I think it’ll be in April or May. We don’t have specific dates because people are still figuring out when their recitals are.
Theodora: The third one is a screening of a masterclass. We never really get together to just discuss something that we love.
Tayte: The chapter is not entirely dedicated to vocal majors. We want to include all types of singing, jazz, folk. We have to launch from somewhere, but we’re open to all people and all styles.
Monique: What years are you guys?
Theodora: I’m 3 out of 4. Tayte is 4 out of 5.
Josh: Is this something someone who was in a band with no formal training would feel out of water at?
Tayte: We’re all inclusive. Some of our events are tailored to a specific kind, but that doesn’t mean people can’t participate. There is a lot of stuff out there.
Elijah: So you kind of tailor it to the membership that you get?
Elijah: How have you gauged interest in this in the college and con?
Theodora: We gauged interest in the college and the con but mainly because the new jazz department opened up, it spurred us.
Tayte: The idea came from the fact that there are people pursuing a vocal performance degree who are not getting vocal performance opportunities.
Monique: Your program is for people who are going to teach music?
Tayte: Our mission is geared toward singing and voice.
Theodora: And that’s why we want it to incorporate all styles. In the Con we don’t really get much on other styles and resources.
Elijah: What have you done to start to build the community? Are you going to meet outside of these events?
Tayte: The group has been meeting Sundays every month and we thought we needed at least 10 people before we launched this. We’ve mainly been working on the charter together.
Monique: That’s all the time we have for today. You’ll get an email a week from tomorrow at latest.
STUDENT LABOR ACTION COALITION
Monique: We’re going to go ahead and get started.
Michael: So what this proposal is for is our third annual weekend of action event. In the past we’ve had students of Oberlin come to Wilder, specific activist groups to talk about the work they’re doing. It gets students oriented with the work that others are doing and gives students insight into what groups they can join. It’s meant to be not only presentations but also discussion among students. This year we want to get action groups from around Ohio to come speak at the event. The honorariums we cut down from what we normally do; the sole purpose is to get these groups willing to come out to Oberlin. The transportation differs because people are coming from different places. We have the space booked but it wouldn’t really work without the students so we have promotional material, but we also need food especially because we have about seven hours of time booked in Wilder for Saturday and Sunday. We also have a greater amount of student groups who have expressed interest in attending this year. WOBC reached out to us and they want to record part of the event which gives the event the capacity to reach the broader Oberlin community and not just the students. In terms of prioritizing the costs, food and advertising money would be the most important because this can’t happen without student groups and then off the groups we’re bringing we would prioritize bringing Anti Racist Action and Lorain Ohio Immigrant Rights Association. Free Ohio and IWW are more aligned with SLAC so we could theoretically bring them later as part of a different event.
Hassan: So ad hoc is usually for unforeseen circumstances and not additional programming, can you make the case that this is unforeseen?
Michael: Yes, we’re operating on a very low budget and there are a lot of new student groups who want to participate.
Peace: Were you active in the org last year?
Michael: I was introduced to SLAC at this event last year.
Monique: How many people are in the org right now?
Michael: There’s three core members - the co chairs and myself. And there are five frequent members who attend. Last week we had about 7 or 8 especially with the planning of this event. We have a couple people who are on the list serve and are in other events like SEJ.
Elijah: There’s a lot of other groups who are looking to help. Have they offered to help with funding?
Michael: No. It’s hard to really get money unless you’ve got something to move it.
Elijah: Do you know if last year other people were able to contribute?
Michael: I’m not sure.
Monique: That’s all the time we have. We’ll be contacting you at latest a week from tomorrow.
THE OBERLIN REVIEW
Monique: We’re going to get started.
Maureen: We’ve had the same in office printer for 15 years now, it’s used five days out of the week for production and we print a lot of things, and it’s finally just given out. We’re here to request funds for a new printer to get back to the schedule we’re on.
Tyler: People print two copies of their articles so they can be edited, comments are made, then two more copies are printed and there’s probably around 40 articles a week so there’s a lot of paper that’s being printed.
Kylie: We also have to print layout which has been taking 3 hours to print a page when it should be taking 30 seconds.
Maureen: The printers we’re looking at are so expensive because we need to be able to print on 11x17 paper so there are no mistakes before we send it to our official printer to come out as the weekly edition.
Tyler: It’s a long term investment for the long run because it’s more effective than buying numerous low quality printers.
Oliver: Being able to print more papers in a faster time will allow for a better quality paper.
Maureen: The more expensive one of the two in our budget is the one the Oberlin Tech Store actually recommended to us and they have someone who can set it up for us.
Kylie: Right now we’re buying replacement ink cartridges at one per semester with is $223 but the replacement cartridges for the new printers are more cost effective.
Monique: Have you explored avenues through the college for purchasing this?
Maureen: I reached out to Rick but it’s going to take a while.
Monique: I mean using college money to buy this.
Maureen: No, I wasn’t aware that that was possible.
Monique: Yeah I’m not sure if there’s an avenue for that.
Hassan: So your recommendation is option one?
Maureen: Yes, it would be better long term. The second one prints at half the speed and the cartridges would have to be replaced more frequently.
Elijah: Have you looked into installation for the second one and that cost or can you do CIT?
Kylie: Yeah, Sandy said CIT can do it.
Elijah: Do these already come with a cartridge?
Maureen: It comes with one in it.
Josh: What was the printing speed of the one you have now when it was first purchased?
Maureen: No idea, none of us were here when it was purchased.
Kylie: To answer your question Josh, our printer printed us to 35 pages/min letter side.
Monique: I’ll email you within a week from tomorrow.
Monique: Let’s get started.
Michael: For a few months me and my team have been working on Rage: The Homecoming to provide masterclasses to the jazz department and to bring Rage to the Sco. We’re trying to show that the alumni are doing great things and improving; by bringing them back it’s going to be a big boost to morale. We’ve reached at and gotten confirmation that they can be here during these times and teach the masterclasses. We have an opener band that is a local band on campus. We have the support of OJS who is booking the Sco for us on this date and the conservatory deans and the jazz department. We are asking ad hoc for $3000 to help support this.
Monique: How many people are in the band?
Hassan: Do you have confirmation from all these orgs that they’re going to give you this money.
Michael: We don’t have confirmation from all these orgs but we’re still working on it.
Monique: For the sco system what size is it going to be?
Michael: It’s going to be a medium system.
Sulan: Why do you have eight hours for the sound engineer and hall rental?
Michael: We plan on recording so we can create and release some projects.
Hassan: Where will they be staying?
Michael: We’re working on that right now. We have a few different housing options from my team but we’re trying not to use the Oberlin Inn to save money.
Hassan: Can you talk about the benefit to campus and students for the recording?
Michael: It’ll offer opportunities to jazz students and give jazz alumni an easier transition into the real world.
Monique: How many masterclasses will be held?
Michael: 2. One of the masterclasses will be a composer masterclass.
Josh: Do you have any idea how many students they can host for the masterclasses?
Michael: If it’s in the jazz department we can hold 20 to 40 people in the rooms.
Monique: You’ll get an email from us with our decision at latest a week from tomorrow.
INDIVIDUAL AD HOC/SUPC
Monique: Welcome to today’s ad hoc.
Rayna: So we are ad hoc’ing for $11902 to bring either Kamaiyah or Lion Babe to the Sco. Right now the event would be April 21st. We’re trying to bring a big hip hop show to the Sco that students would be interested in. We’ve talked to a lot of students and they’d be really excited especially for Kamaiyah. We can’t put it in our SUPC budget because we’re trying to get a diverse amount of shows for a diverse amount of taste and the Sco isn’t big enough for a lot of people to have entryway into the Sco. The honorariums are really expensive for hip hop artists, even up and coming ones compared to really good punk acts or electronic musicians. We’ve already negotiated the agents down a lot which is why our numbers have changed. Ad hoc’ing for these events is the only way we’d be able to make this kind of show happen. It also helps the Sco because not a lot of people go to Sco when the sco doesn’t have events so Shirley’s always really excited to have shows in the Sco.
Joe: We’d also be tiering tickets which is not allowed for shows that cost money, but since this is going to be free show we can make it more accessible by selling tickets at certain places and tiering tickets to groups like People of Color.
Rayna: I think the only issue is that it would definitely have to be ticketed. I think a lot of the reason we charge besides to make profit is to keep track of how many people are there.
Austen: This is in the Sco you said? Why not have it at 400 people? The Sco limit is 450 but in the publicity you have it at 300 tickets.
Joe: For past shows they’ve taken out tickets for people who were bartending or working the event but they don’t do that anymore so you’re right we should change it to 400.
Peace: For gas and lodging it says quantity two - who is the other person?
Joe: Usually the travelling act is the artist and the manager or DJ.
Monique: We’re out of time but you will get an email from SFC at latest a week from tomorrow.
The Oberlin Review Ad Hoc Review
Elijah: We should fund it and then not fund the cartridge because the printer comes with a cartridge.
Monique: They’re not asking for a cartridge, they were just saying how much it costs.
Austen: In the budget it just says how much it costs, but she explicitly asks for one.
Josh: I propose to fund at 3600.
OC SNATS Ad Hoc Review
Josh: So the Walmart snacks can be cut because they’re unitemized.
Monique: Do you guys want to fund programs?
Peace: Yeah but cut it to .07.
Hassan: They might want it in color.
Josh: In black and white it’d be $7.
Josh: Do we think they should get this food for each of them?
Hassan: I think this is their first time doing this so I think it’s important to have food so people can come.
Monique: For the faculty panel I think food would help student engage and stuff.
Josh: That makes sense but for the masterclass I don’t you should be eating when you’re in the masterclass.
Elijah: At some events not everyone is going to be singing at the same time, there are going to be spectators.
Monique: Proposal to fund copying costs at 125.40 for all three events.
Josh: I’d propose to fund food for two events, not three. I propose to fund it at $100.
Peace: I propose $50. I don’t think you need food for a faculty panel.
Vote to fund food at 100/
SLAC Ad Hoc Review
Monique: Their group doesn’t seem very put together but this also seems like a really great event.But technically it’s there fault they don’t have a budget.
Elijah: I’m just really nervous about the money going into putting this event on.
Sulan: I like this event but I don’t think we should fund for all four groups coming from Ohio. I think we should consider what he was saying about prioritizing items.
Hassan: If we’re scrapping some events, is it still going to be a three day thing? Because the food is for three days.
Peace: It’s possible that if we scrap one event some other groups might want to pick up the slack.
Elijah: I don’t feel one hundred percent comfortable giving them a ton of money when they didn’t submit a budget for this year. It seems very shaky.
Monique: If we did the one from Lorain and the one from Cleveland, how much would that cost? And are we giving them food?
Elijah: I’m fine doing Domino’s - I don’t get why they need Domino’s and Lorenzo’s.
Hassan: I’m down for scrapping the extra orgs, the outside people coming in.
Monique: I think that’s an important part though.
Peace: I want to fund 2 of the 4 at $400, so they can choose whoever they want to bring, lorenzo’s, no live recording, transportation. (662.91)
Monique: I want to propose two honorariums, no live recording, domino's, transportation. (578.91)
Hassan: I propose Domino’s and posters. (205.31)
Elijah: Peace, I recommend to change your proposal of Lorenzo’s to Domino’s so they can feed more people.
Hassan: Maybe they were going for two lunches and three dinners.
Monique: You think if they were doing that they would get pizza for every meal?
Elijah: Top down.
Proposal to fund at 662.91
Does not pass
Proposal to fund at 578.91
Rage Ad Hoc Review
Elijah: I think we should fund them.
Monique: Some prices can be adjusted. The Sco sound is actually $350, they said medium.
Peace: I don’t want to pay for recording.
Josh: Yeah I think that just benefits them not us.
Elijah: I disagree. He’s asking not just for recording but also for continuity with alumni and the jazz department. Having that recording in file is an important part in preventing erasure that happens in Black art form.
Monique: I think the the first things that you were talking about can be achieved through the masterclasses because people perform all the time but the fact that these Black alumni are coming back to teach these classes is important. I feel like the recordings are selective.
Elijah: The masterclasses are something that is going to happen now but the recording is something that will be preserved into the future. The impact to campus is not immediate.
Josh: Between the jazz department and the conservatory dean, they have 700$ which is more than enough for recording.
Sulan: Didn’t OJS also give money?
Josh: Yeah they have 1250 already committed, but 700 is college money, the rest is from student orgs.
Monique: I’m down for funding 3500.
Austen: That’s more than they asked for.
Monique: They don’t have the guaranteed funding from the rest of these groups. So they only have a small amount of money they have to raise after that.
Elijah: I’m going to propose 4000.
Josh: There’s over 2000 dollars they haven’t heard back from yet.
Josh: I’m going to throw $3000 out there.
Austen: All in favor of 3500.
Austen: All in favor of 3000
Individual Ad Hoc Review
Austen: Lowkey I want to say no, but they talked them down from 15k to 11k.
Peace: This is a dope event and I wanted to fund it but almost 12k is a lot of money.
Josh: This is a really large cost and it’s valid that their org and their mission, they wouldn’t want to bring this big artist. But since the person who ad hoc’ed is the treasurer of SUPC, we can partially fund them and then they can get the rest of the SUPC budget.
Elijah: We’re getting a great artist for like half of what they actually cost.
Peace: I don’t like funding stuff arbitrarily but I think I’d have to make an exception and cut this arbitrarily.
Josh: To make it les arbitrarily I’m looking at what SUPC usually funds.
Peace: I propose 8,500. Even though it’s technically individual, she did say that they can’t fund it full through SUPC so they have to make a sacrifice by putting some over their org money into this. This also fits into FABB’s mission statement.
Josh: I propose $8889 which is 8k honorarium and travel.
Peace: The average cost of their shows in around 2000. The most expensive show they did was Smino at 5500.
Josh: Two proposals.
All in favor of 8889
SFC Meeting Minutes
SFC Minutes serve as the instant written record of a policy meeting or an Ad-hoc discussion. We encourage you to contact the committee if you have questions about the conversation surrounding your allocation.