4.2.17 SFC Policy Meeting
Members Present: Peace, Vince, Josh, Hassan
Time Start: 12:20pm
Time End: 1:00pm
Peace: So one thing is that Tina was talking about sending out a memo to all the student orgs about spending down their money at the end of the year. She said that they shouldn’t be spending their money down at the end of the year and they won’t be penalized if they don’t spend it all.
Josh: Sounds reasonable.
Vince: I can draft the memo.
Peace: So Tina said she got a request for payment to transfer money from FABB to SUPC to pay for something and Tina wasn’t sure if she could sign for it because it was from their ad hoc and ad hoc money is supposed to go to the event it was ad hoc-d for.
Vince: I thought we can’t reject.
Peace: Apparently we can.
Josh: If they’re transferring money out of the ad hoc is it being transferred because they did it for cheaper and have some left over, because it fell through and have all this money, or?
Peace: We tell people they can spend their money however they want during spring budgeting but ad hoc is more particular and we can keep track of that more since it’s just for one event.
Josh: So it sounds like maybe you’re leaning towards no. We should add in our bylaws that ad hoc money can’t be transferred out.
Peace: Oh wait sometimes groups collaborate on events like Kamaiyah and the majority of it is paid for ad hoc and some of it was paid by SUPC. So we have to make it more specific. I’ll tell Tina no.
Josh: To make amendments we do need a supermajority.
Vince: I want to talk about meeting etiquette when the whole group is here.
Peace: So another email from Tina was talking about scholarships. Students were coming to her asking about scholarships to be paid to students and she wanted to know if we have any policy on that.
Vince: We have none. But there are groups who fundraise to donate to like the Undocumented Students Fund for scholarships.
Josh: Yeah and that’s income. But we can’t give people money out of the student activity fund like a gift. But you can gift income.
Peace: I think we should make policy on that to make sure the process is more institutionalized and like goes through the development office, and is not just completely in the hands of students so they don’t misuse the funds.
Vince: I think we should say income payments are subject to committee review.
Peace: I think this might be something to talk about more with the whole committee, how we would go about policing scholarships so people can’t game the system.
Vince: I prefer students policing, like 7 students instead of 1 administrator.
Peace: Also the cars on the website - the prices are off.
Hassan: Didn’t we fix this?
Peace: The new prices are in the email.
Peace: I’m going to draft up the hiring email for SFC today. Josh, can you let Senate know so they can send it. Do you want to give them a week or two weeks?
Vince: I think a couple of weeks is fine.
Josh: Two weeks is fine.
Vince: Can we read through the application real quick to make sure we don’t want to change anything.
Josh: So we can change closes to 11:59pm April 15th.
Peace: Also there aren’t over 200 student orgs.
Josh: There’s like 170.
Josh: Can fifth years apply for this?
Vince: I don’t see why not.
Hassan: Do you think we can put a word limit? Because some might expect it to be longer and some might expect it to be shorter.
Peace: I’m in favor of that.
Vince: I think they’re expected to say what they think is relevant and that’s different for different people. I also think if they write a lot and it’s all fluff, that says something about how they might be on the committee.
Josh: I’ll send it to Senate and if they want to put a word limit they can.
SFC Meeting Minutes
SFC Minutes serve as the instant written record of a policy meeting or an Ad-hoc discussion. We encourage you to contact the committee if you have questions about the conversation surrounding your allocation.