Members Present: Monique, Vince, Sulan, Peace, Elijah, Austen
Time Start: 7:10pm
Time End: 9:00pm
Elijah: They spent a little under 200 so far.
Peace: They also recently turned in a form.
Monique: It doesn’t seem like they really do anything. I want to cut these meals.
Vince: They also said they haven’t spent much because of low meeting attendance.
Monique: The only thing that’s changed on their budget is that they’re not asking for a guest speaker and they took out one thing for supplies.
Vince: Usually we say that if a group doesn’t use their budget they don’t get as much as they did before unless they have a good explanation but their explanation is basically that their group is unpopular.
Monique: We should cut it in half.
Vince: I say we do the average and cut the outlier.
Vince: Proposal to fund weekly meals at 28 a meal which is a total 784.
Vince: Proposal to fund the annual celebrations at 84.
Vince: Proposal to fund supplies in full
Vince: Proposal to fund copying in full at $7
Vince: Proposal to fund orientation meetings in full
Vince: Proposal to fund film screening in full. I’m going to vote against it because I don’t think it fits their mission statement and they haven’t spent money well this year.
Does not pass.
Members Present: Josh, Peace, Natalia, Monique
Time Start: 1pm
Time End: 5pm
Josh: This is an identical budget from last year, same exact amount to the cent. I’m looking at the budget from last year to see if there’s anything we slashed for valid reasons. Yeah they just didn’t change anything in this budget. We should also take into account that they do get funding from the school.
Monique: How much did they get last year?
Josh: They got 3792 from us.
Peace: They said they got 5k total last year.
Josh: They’re probably counting money they got from the school, unless they ad hoc’d but I don’t think they did.
Natalia: They’re mid year report looks good.
Josh: I would be down to fund basically at the same level as last year and since they spend their money, fund Chabbat in full instead of half like we did last year which would give them almost 5 grand which is what they were at the year before.
Monique: That’s before they get donations. Does the amount of donations they get every year change?
Peace: Usually they get 25.
Natalia: Hundred or thousand?
Josh: Yeah we’re basically like icing on the cake.
Monique: I’m literally down to do the same exact amount as last year. And we can use the other student money towards an organization that doesn’t get money from the school.
Josh: Given how much they get I’m fine with Monique’s proposal because this is the same budget and no where on here do they say “We were underfunded last year and we need more money.”
Josh: Proposal to fund at 3792.12, Office supplies in full, copying cut by one dollar, general interest at 100 per pricing guide, Chabbat cut in half, Yom Kippur funded at 280.
Oberlin Christian Fellowship
Monique: They’re asking for 15 grand. But this doesn’t add up to 15 grand.
Josh: Last year they asked for 6700 and they got 3400.
Monique: I think they messed up the math.
Josh: Oh yeah if you add up all the subtotals it’s only 8368.11.
Natalia: In the mid year they said they’ve had meetings, a speaker, a worship jam session, game nights, movie nights, three conferences, ice cream social, etc. In the spring they spring they plan to have an art director come to talk to students about the importance of art in relation to God and they’re going to have an Easter egg hunt.
Josh: So they’re asking for 8.3k but last year they only got 3.4k.
Natalia: But they got an extra 1.2k from an outsider.
Peace: It says they got 1.7k extra in gifts.
Natalia: Oh well in the mid year they said 1.2k.
Josh: So they were working with 5.1k.
Peace: So far this year they’ve spent a little over 1700$.
Josh: Their supplies request is the same as last year except they got rid of sidewalk chalk and they added construction paper instead but in total it’s $4 more than we gave them so I think it’s okay.
Peace: This masking tape is kind of expensive.
Josh: We can cut it down so supplies is 86.92. Proposal to fund supplies.
Josh: Printing last year they asked for 101 and we gave it to them. They cut some posters. Proposal to fund in full at 90$.
Monique: What’s this copyright license?
Natalia: They said it’s important so they don’t violate the law during their service.
Josh: We gave it to them last year. Proposal to fund large group at 255.45.
Natalia: Proposal to fund dinner in full at 429.44.
Josh: Proposal to fund speakers at 180.
Monique: Proposal to fund outreach in full at 149.34.
Natalia: Proposal to fund the retreat in full at 221.45
Josh: The bake off last year we funded in full.
Natalia: Why do they need a bakeoff?
Josh: They said to reach members of campus they wouldn’t normally be able to reach beyond the org. Proposal to fund in full at 101.19.
Josh: Last year we funded winter formal in full.
Natalia: They said the winter formal is an annual event so members can get to know Christians and non-Christians on campus. It was a very successful event.
Josh: Proposal to fund in full at 91.83.
Josh: Their Easter event is cheaper than last year.
Monique: Proposal to fund at 50.27.
Josh: Last year for conferences we did some slashing.
Monique: I only want to fund 10 people.
Natalia: If we’re doing 3 cars we have to do 15 people.
Josh: I would cut the cars to two, cut the mileage, and cut the registration to 10 and have them not ask for students’ financial need because everyone’s in full. 1180.40
Natalia: So proposal to fund at 1180.40 which is two cars and ten students at full registration.
Peace: Black campus ministry conference.
Monique: It says five students last year.
Natalia: They need a car, they don’t need a mini van.
Monique: They’re trying to bring more people because people expressed interest.
Peace: Holistically how many conferences do we want to fund?
Josh: Last year we did two, so I’d do two maybe three.
Monique: I think if we fund this one with more people it’ll be fine.
Josh: I would do this one with six or so.
Natalia: I would do three conferences. They managed a bigger budget than we gave them and did it successfully.
Josh: Are we going to stick with our accessibility and try to fund full registration for the rest of the conferences?
Natalia: I think we should.
Josh: The harvest and the Black ministry conference we funded last year, they didn’t go and put that money towards focus week which is fine but we just funded harvest and I would rather not do either of those and just give them money for focus week.
Monique: I would just do money for gas. They’re recognizing that this is a large cost event and are asking for at least transportation. If we do two conferences with the higher cost to make it more accessible, and then give them transportation for this it’ll be fine.
Josh: It’s 400 bucks a pop per student.
Peace: I would rather go back and change what we funded the other conference at, and then prioritize this.
Josh: So if we go back and don’t fund the harvest and do fund the chapter focus, we’d be at 5600.
Monique: But also not everyone in the group will be able to go to the chapter focus, but if we fund the three conferences, we can get a wider range of people to go.
Monique: I’m in favor of funding just cars and gas. I’m not in favor of funding the chapter focus week because only nine people can go and there’s 30 people in the group.
Natalia: Yeah but they said it’s the most important one to them.
Monique: But they could get 10 people to go to one, 5 people to go to the other, and 9 people to go to another.
Natalia: They can do that?
Monique: Yeah if we fund the two conferences and the cars and transportation for the focus week.
Josh: Not really. When they say we hope we can get money for transportation, they’ll just appropriate the money we gave for the other conferences and put it towards this one. That’s what they’re doing this year.
Natalia: I think it’s okay if we fund this and the other one; this is a very responsible group.
Josh: Would you fund in full for registration?
Josh: If we did that and the conferences, that would bring them up to about 8k.
Natalia: Oh my gosh that’s so much, I take it back.
Josh: I think we should fund this conference as it is and then go back and de-fund the other conference.
Monique: How about we fund chapter focus with 5 full registrations and keep the other ones we funded.
Josh: That would take their full budget to 5.1k.
Josh: Proposal to fund the Black campus ministry and Asian American ministry in full.
Does not pass.
Josh: Proposal to fund Chapter Focus week at 1 car, gas for one car, 5 full registrations and no half registrations at 2348.53.
Josh: They’ve been going to the Akron thing. If we fund this they’d have about 5.5k.
Monique: They go to every single one?
Natalia: Yeah they said it in their mid year report.
Monique: I’m down to fund.
Peace: Proposal to fund Akron conference at 299.88 as per pricing guide.
Newman Catholic Campus
Josh: Last year we gave them 3991.80.
Monique: They’re asking for 4 grand.
Natalia: They do weekly Sunday fellowship dinners, movie nights with Catholic centered themes and the money for this year has been used for priests and the meetings and baking nights. They had some bureaucracy issues.
Josh: If all their numbers are right I’m down to fund in full, they’re asking for about 80 more dollars for next year.
Peace: Last year they got 4.4k and they spent 3.4k.
Natalia: There’s a Catholic church down the street, why do they need to bring 24 priests for their own masses? Like is Newman a sect?
Josh: Newman Catholic is rooted in the vision of Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman. It’s a sect specifically for Catholic orgs in college. I don’t know if we can tell them they have to go to the church here.
Josh: There’s a 30 cent error in their math. Every time they have mass, they have dinner after mass as well and we funded it last year - does anybody have a problem with that?
Natalia: We can leave it.
Josh: Proposal to fund budget in full with weekly mass meals adjusted to 70 instead of 75 since they typically underspend for food.
Muslim Students Association (MSA)
Peace: They said their main things were supplies and their retreat and a party in Lewis House. They said they didn’t have enough money to pay for honorarium, transportation and a hotel for the speaker so they put that money towards starting things they wanted to happen in MSA every year and they said they were going to perform in a play during InterFaith week and organize an end of the year celebration.
Peace: Last year they got 5409$.
Monique: Is the first event itemized enough?
Peace: It’s like general interest.
Peace: Proposal to fund ice cream social in full.
Natalia: Can we make a note to advertise.
Oberlin Christian Chinese Fellowship
Monique: They met with us.
Natalia: Every Friday they have meeting at the International house to learn bible verses and hymns,, they have meetings before Friday to reflect on life and on Sundays they go to church in Cleveland. Their major costs are food which are essential to their Friday meetings and transportation. They spend $40/week on food and $30/week on transportation. They also purchase some theology books for members.
Josh: Are they for members like any member can read them like a resource or is it a gift?
Natalia: It’s a resource.
Natalia: They also attend meetings help by other Chinese Christian fellowships at other universities.
Josh: I’ll cut whole cooked chicken to $8 to not $12 because that’s what we funded last year and they didn’t explain why it wasn’t enough.
Natalia: Wait where are all these numbers coming from? Oh probably from Kim’s, they’re expensive.
Josh: Park to Shop market, it’s an Asian supermarket in Cleveland.
Peace: These seasonings are expensive.
Josh: Proposal to fund item 1, the fellowship food 1160.95.
Monique: Proposal to fund advertising in full at $84.
Natalia: They want to do carshare which I think makes sense. Proposal to fund in full.
Monique: I’m not really sure what all these costs are.
Josh: They say that going through the college is too financially burdensome, but using the carshare is five times more expensive.
Natalia: No it’s not.
Josh: Oh they didn’t budget for the cars last year? They just budgeted for gas?
Peace: Yeah usually they drive get reimbursed for gas.
Monique: Proposal to fund fellowship services in full.
Josh: Just a heads up we’re already above their budget from last year.
Natalia: Yeah but that’s just because of the car price increase which they were underfunded for last year.
Josh: I would fund at 3 and 4 people for the camp and symposium. Proposal to fund disciple camps and symposium at $370, at 3 people at 50 for the camp and 4 people at 55 for the symposium.
Josh: Last year for Shabbot we gave them 10.5k for 50 people at 7.50 for 28 weeks, this year they’re asking for 7.50 a person for 100 people for 28 weeks. To be fair Shabbot dinner is very popular and attendance has been increasing. I would fund at like 70 or 75.
Natalia: I would do 75, it’s the middle point of what they got last year and what they’re asking for this year.
Josh: Proposal to fund Shabbot at $15,750.
Josh: Okay we’ve already increased their budget. They got 14k last year.
Natalia: Are these bagels from The Local?
Josh: They get their bagels from a bagel shop. $11 is the cost of a baker’s dozen of bagel.
Natalia: Do we want to give them this? I don’t.
Monique: I don’t.
Natalia: I just don’t think the food part is necessary. They can just have learning sessions. I don’t know though it seems like they want to do this.
Josh: I think we should come back to this.
Natalia: Okay let’s go down to religious holiday programming.
Josh: Rosh Hashanah, they said they’re expecting 250 people to attend.
Josh: Proposal to fund at 1711.71 which is 1312.50 for food plus tables, tablecloths and posters.
Josh: The said they’re anticipating hosting 150 people for Yom Kippur.
Josh: Proposal to fund Yom Kippur at 438.75, for bagels, lox adjusted to 13 units, cream cheese adjusted to 15 units, funding plates, forks, knives, covers and posters in full, cutting everything else.
Josh: Latkes went up from 1.99 to 2.99.
Peace: They’re trying to get them from Trader Joe’s this year.
Josh: Can we tell them to get the latkes from the other place, not Trader Joe’s?
Josh: Proposal to fund Channukah at 303.65 for donuts, latkes and posters.
Josh: Last year Purim we gave them 399.
Peace: I kind of want to just fund this based on what we did last year.
Natalia: We should fund based on what’s in front of us. We should just fund posters.
Josh: Proposal to fund 35 for posters.
Josh: Last year we funded them at 2k altogether.
Monique: They say they’re asking for food because some people eat in co-ops and don’t have access to kosher meals.
Natalia: If we fund this we’re like funding a meal plan for a week.
Josh: Proposal to fund Passover week long meals at 1.5k same as last year.
Does not pass.
Josh: We’ll change the unit cost for matza to 12.99.
Peace: I want to decrease the number of cases to 10.
Peace: Why do you need 13 cases of wine? They should charge for this dinner.
Monique: They should keep track of how many people actually go to this. This is a lot of money to go off of their word about who comes.
Josh: Proposal to fund Passover Seder at 2499.
Josh: Proposal to fund the rest of the programming on this budget.
Does not pass.
SFC Meeting Minutes
SFC Minutes serve as the instant written record of a policy meeting or an Ad-hoc discussion. We encourage you to contact the committee if you have questions about the conversation surrounding your allocation.